What is Naturopathic Medicine?
The principles of Naturopathic medicine:
- First, do no harm, by using methods and medicines that minimize the risk of harmful side effects.
- To identify and treat the cause of disease, by identifying and removing the underlying cause(s) of illness, rather than suppressing symptoms.
- To support the healing power of the body to maintain, restore and enhance the body's ability to heal
- Doctor as teacher, by sharing knowledge with patients and encouraging individual responsibility for health.
- Treat the whole person through an individualized approach, by understanding the unique physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental and social factors that contribute to illness, thereby customizing treatment protocols to the patient.
- To emphasize prevention, by partnering with the patient to assess risk factors and maintain overall health, wellness and prevent illness.